Bug 911401

Summary: Wrong yast language when multiple languages specified in LANGUAGE env variable
Product: [openSUSE] openSUSE Tumbleweed Reporter: Vincent Petry <PVince81>
Component: YaST2Assignee: Martin Vidner <mvidner>
Status: NEW --- QA Contact: Jiri Srain <jsrain>
Severity: Normal    
Priority: P5 - None CC: jarlgjessing, locilka, nenad.b.radulovic, public
Version: 201412*   
Target Milestone: ---   
Hardware: Other   
OS: Other   
Whiteboard:
Found By: --- Services Priority:
Business Priority: Blocker: ---
Marketing QA Status: --- IT Deployment: ---
Attachments: Formats image
Language installed image
Danish menu image
Translations image
Konsole wrong language

Description Vincent Petry 2014-12-30 20:37:05 UTC
Steps to reproduce:

1. Make sure that neither LANG nor any LC_* variables are set
2. Run: export LANGUAGE="en_US:de:fr" (or set this language order in KDE's language settings)
3. Run: kdesu yast2

Expected result:

Since English is the first language, Yast2 should be in English.

Actual result:

Yast2 is in German!

More info:

If you do:
- export LANGUAGE="en_US"
- kdesu yast2
Yast2 will be in English.

It seems zypper is also affected partially.
When LANGUAGE="en_US:de:fr" then zypper is in English, but the confirmation prompt is in German:

Overall download size: 682.1 MiB. Already cached: 0 B  After the operation, additional 753.3 MiB will be used.
Fortfahren? [j/n/? zeigt alle Optionen] (j):


Could be a duplicate of https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=843573 but that one didn't have any details.
Comment 1 Lukas Ocilka 2015-01-02 13:13:00 UTC
Martin, please, have a look. Is this supported?
Comment 2 Jarl Gjessing 2015-07-03 07:16:40 UTC
I experience more or less the same.
I have made a clean installation. Like in completely wiped homedir (by accident :-))

I always install English, but with danish keyboard.
In system settings, I have set Formats Region Denmark, nothing else. (See screenshot)
I have NOT installed any danish languages (See screenshot)

I have NOT meddled with local settings manually (don't know how)

Still menu is in Danish. Some commands executed by sudo is in danish ... Weird and annoying
Comment 3 Jarl Gjessing 2015-07-03 07:17:16 UTC
Created attachment 640019 [details]
Formats image
Comment 4 Jarl Gjessing 2015-07-03 07:17:43 UTC
Created attachment 640020 [details]
Language installed image
Comment 5 Jarl Gjessing 2015-07-03 07:18:01 UTC
Created attachment 640021 [details]
Danish menu image
Comment 6 Jarl Gjessing 2015-07-03 07:18:44 UTC
Created attachment 640022 [details]
Translations image
Comment 7 Jarl Gjessing 2015-07-03 07:21:58 UTC
Created attachment 640023 [details]
Konsole wrong language

As you can see konsole it self have english menuitems, and in the window sudo zypper dup replies in Danish.
At this point, i event set American as the first preferred language and Danish as the second in translations.
AND I have still not installed any translations at all.
Comment 8 Alvise C 2015-09-19 22:00:26 UTC
My case is very similar to Jarl's:
- system language is set to EN_gb
- keyboard is set to FR_ch
- Language FR_ch has NOT been installed 

But konsole and yast are in FR and not in EN. The output of locale gives:

# locale
LANG=fr_CH.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
Comment 9 Nenad Radulovic 2021-03-29 14:02:35 UTC
(In reply to Alvise C from comment #8)
> My case is very similar to Jarl's:
> - system language is set to EN_gb
> - keyboard is set to FR_ch
> - Language FR_ch has NOT been installed 
> 
> But konsole and yast are in FR and not in EN. The output of locale gives:
> 
> # locale
> LANG=fr_CH.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_CH.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=

I have further variation of the issue:

# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=sr_RS.UTF-8
LC_TIME=sr_RS.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=sr_RS.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT=sr_RS.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

As can be seen, LANG is set to en_US.UTF-8 but I still get Serbian translated messages from a few console programs.