Bug 1034348 - Installer loops on searching for system files (LUKS)
Installer loops on searching for system files (LUKS)
Status: NEW
Classification: openSUSE
Product: openSUSE Tumbleweed
Classification: openSUSE
Component: Installation
Current
x86-64 SUSE Other
: P5 - None : Normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: YaST Team
Jiri Srain
https://trello.com/c/pHl8yW8N
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-04-16 18:15 UTC by Neil Rickert
Modified: 2018-05-28 13:08 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Found By: ---
Services Priority:
Business Priority:
Blocker: ---
Marketing QA Status: ---
IT Deployment: ---


Attachments
Yast logs (417.44 KB, application/x-compressed-tar)
2017-04-16 18:17 UTC, Neil Rickert
Details
Yast logs (86.02 KB, application/x-compressed-tar)
2017-04-16 18:18 UTC, Neil Rickert
Details
y2log (109.06 KB, application/x-xz)
2018-05-28 13:08 UTC, Sebastian Turzański
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Neil Rickert 2017-04-16 18:15:58 UTC
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Build Identifier: 

This is with Tumbleweed 20170414, the KDE live iso (on a USB).

Background:  I first booted on my laptop, and did a trial install.  I aborted before the end of the install.

Problem: I next booted on a desktop system (ThinkServer TS140).  Then I started an install.  I believe this uses the NET installer.

I was prompted for encryption key (I have 4 LUKS partitions on that box).  I provided the key.  The message came back that two were opened and that I needed the key for the other two.  This was surprising, because they all use the same key.  Looking at "/dev/mapper" from an xterm, I could see that all were actually unlocked.

I cancelled out of that prompt.  And then the installer seemed to be looping on search for system files.  I gave it plenty of time, but it never made any progress.  "top" showed "y2start" using near 100% cpu.

Clicking "abort" or closing the installer window did nothing.  So I rebooted (that's one way to kill a stuck process).

On reboot, I repeated the same steps, with the same result.  This time I tried to kill the looping process.  That didn't work.  So I used "kill -KILL" which did work.

Third try:  This time I first deleted the hybrid partition, in case there was something left over from when I used on my laptop.  That did make a difference.  This time the opening of encrypted partitions worked correctly.  However, it still looped on searching for system files.  This time, I tried "kill -HUP" to terminate the looping process.  And that seemed to stop the process more gracefully.

I then downloaded the DVD installer, and tested with it.  And the DVD installer seemed fine.  I did not complete an install, but it got past the point where the NET installer had looped.

I'll attach Yast logs.  I'll first attach "yastlogs.tgz" which was taken after the reboot.  Then I'll attach "ylogs2.tgz" which was from the third try, after deleting the hybrid partition.

Reproducible: Always
Comment 1 Neil Rickert 2017-04-16 18:17:19 UTC
Created attachment 721364 [details]
Yast logs

Logs from the first attempts, before deleting the hybrid partition.
Comment 2 Neil Rickert 2017-04-16 18:18:57 UTC
Created attachment 721365 [details]
Yast logs

ylogs2.tgz - Logs from the third attempt (after deleting the hybrid partition on the USB)
Comment 3 Martin Vidner 2017-04-18 11:22:36 UTC
Thanks for the report! It is somewhat complicated.

There is an exception in the logs, but it is a red herring, not affecting the rest of the problem. I'll just write down the details because it will help us to fix this and not be distracted by it again.
2017-04-16 10:25:20 <2> nwr(8353) [Ruby] clients/inst_pre_install.rb:56 Cannot convert String from 'any' to 'list'
(This is due to a missing array item globals/copy_to_system being represented successively as nil -> ""(!) -> nil -> [] and then it just works.
https://github.com/yast/yast-yast2/blob/19f8d42b57bb16e6846ad181a0c98afab62b6ac6/library/control/src/modules/ProductFeatures.rb#L205
https://github.com/yast/yast-installation/blob/606b9c16f8ee8282b979c152996e74acccd09064/src/lib/installation/clients/inst_pre_install.rb#L59
)
Comment 4 Martin Vidner 2017-04-18 11:39:02 UTC
(The logs in comment 1 is a concatenation of several installation attempts, of which the first couple were aborted manually)

The problem is that YaST hangs while trying to mount /dev/sda8, which is a LUKS partition. It is visible in the logs in comment 2.
Comment 5 Sebastian Turzański 2018-05-28 12:37:10 UTC
I think I have simillar problem with leap 15.0 
not sure if this is exacty the same - so I'm uploading my yast logs
Comment 6 Sebastian Turzański 2018-05-28 13:08:57 UTC
Created attachment 771561 [details]
y2log