Bug 1067490 - no video on console after initial reboot
no video on console after initial reboot
Status: IN_PROGRESS
Classification: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
Product: Beta SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15
Classification: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
Component: Installer
Beta 1
Other Other
: P3 - Medium : Normal
: ---
Assigned To: YaST Team
E-mail List
https://trello.com/c/kJaygJyu
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-11-09 16:57 UTC by Don Buchholz
Modified: 2018-01-08 09:18 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Found By: ---
Services Priority:
Business Priority:
Blocker: ---
Marketing QA Status: ---
IT Deployment: ---


Attachments
y2log-*.tar.xz file created by running 'save_y2logs' (872.34 KB, application/x-xz)
2017-11-09 21:50 UTC, Don Buchholz
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Don Buchholz 2017-11-09 16:57:46 UTC
The installer video works correctly, but after the system reboots, there is no video on the console. 

It does not matter if using a text or graphical console.

It does not matter if I use a Raritan KVM dongle w/ bad EDID data, or if I directly connect a monitor to the HD15 connector on the back of the server.


Workaround:
-----------
Adding "nomodeset" fixes the problem.  (And adding "vga=0x305" will get me 1024x768.)


Hardware:
---------
The hardware is a Dell R730.

  #  lspci -nn | egrep -i '(video|vga)'
     0e:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. 200eR2 [102b:0534] (rev 01)
Comment 1 Arvin Schnell 2017-11-09 19:27:28 UTC
Please provide YaST logs, see http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Bugreport_YaST.
Comment 2 Don Buchholz 2017-11-09 21:50:30 UTC
Created attachment 748066 [details]
y2log-*.tar.xz file created by running 'save_y2logs'
Comment 3 Arvin Schnell 2017-11-17 14:32:08 UTC
To me it looks as if the xorg-x11-server rpm is not installed.

There are some log entries for xorg-x11-server:

  job: weak erase xorg-x11-server
      !xorg-x11-server-1.19.3-2.21.x86_64 [3295] (w1)

  Keep NOT installed name xorg-x11-server (U__u_(3295)xorg-x11-server-1.19.3-2.21.x86_64(Basesystem-Module_15-0))

Michael, what do these log entries mean, what causes them and how can
it be fixed?
Comment 4 Michael Andres 2017-11-17 15:45:38 UTC
(In reply to Arvin Schnell from comment #3)
> Michael, what do these log entries mean, what causes them and how can
> it be fixed?

> 2017-11-02 11:28:32 <1> install(4757) [zypp] SATResolver.cc(setLocks):1417 
>                                                             ^^^^^^^^
> Keep NOT installed name xorg-x11-server (U__u_(3295)xorg-x11-server-1.19.3-2.21.x86_64(Basesystem-Module_15-0))

The package has been weak locked by YAST probably after the user deselected the package?
(U__u_: to stay (U)ninstalled requested by the (u)ser)

> grep 'Calling SAT Solver\|xorg-x11-server' yl
> ...
> 2017-11-02 11:26:26 <1> install(4757) [zypp] Resolver.cc(solverInit):296 -------------- Calling SAT Solver -------------------
> 2017-11-02 11:26:33 <1> install(4757) [zypp] Resolver.cc(solverInit):296 -------------- Calling SAT Solver -------------------
> 2017-11-02 11:26:35 <1> install(4757) [zypp] Resolver.cc(solverInit):296 -------------- Calling SAT Solver -------------------
> 2017-11-02 11:26:35 <1> install(4757) [zypp] SATResolver.cc(setLocks):1417 Keep NOT installed name xorg-x11-server (U__u_(3295)xorg-x11-server-1.19.3-2.21.x86_64(Basesystem-Module_15-0))
> 2017-11-02 11:26:35 <1> install(4757) [libsolv] PoolImpl.cc(logSat):121 job: weak erase xorg-x11-server

So the weak lock was added between 11:26:33 and 11:26:35. 


YAST's intend might be that deselected packages will not be re-selected by the solver unless they are actually required - kind of 'the user did not want this package'. Recommended packages are not allowed to break the weak lock. 

The correct server is usually determined by evaluating the XServer packages hardware dependencies. The Server packages suggests to be chosen, if it supports the machines hardware. A 'suggests' is a reverse-recommends, and so not allowed to break the weak lock YAST has set.

However YAST can hardly know whether the user just played with the package selection status, expecting the solver to fix it again, or whether he actually want this package to be omitted. YAST should be careful when applying locks.

JFYI: Weak locks have been applied to google-caladea-fonts, google-carlito-fonts, xorg-x11-server, pattern:apparmor and pattern:x11.



@Don: You can try to login as root and call 'zypper inr'. This will re-evaluate all suggestsions and should select the right xorg-x11-server (provided there is one supporting your hardware).
Comment 5 Don Buchholz 2017-11-17 16:56:07 UTC
Typically, I do *not* install X11 (or Gnome or any other GUI) on a server.
I want a text-mode console, as in 

   # systemctl set-default multi-user

After multiple re-installs on this host, I don't remember which software selections I made during the last install.  If my schedule allows, I will
try and repeat the installation on this system this afternoon (U.S./Pacific)
with Beta2.
Comment 6 Don Buchholz 2017-11-17 17:05:06 UTC
Current state of 'Beta1' installation ...

Default "target":
  u0646:[1]/root> systemctl get-default
  multi-user.target


"zypper inr" output:

  u0646:[1]/root> z inr
  Loading repository data...
  Reading installed packages...
  Resolving package dependencies...

  The following application is going to be installed:
    NetworkManager

  The following 18 NEW packages are going to be installed:
    ModemManager ModemManager-lang NetworkManager NetworkManager-applet NetworkManager-applet-lang
    NetworkManager-branding-SLE NetworkManager-connection-editor SUSEConnect dwz ppp rollback-helper
    rpm-build systemd-rpm-macros yast2-nis-client yast2-registration yast2-vpn yp-tools
    zypper-migration-plugin

  18 new packages to install.
  Overall download size: 4.0 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 14.8 MiB will
  be used.
  Continue? [y/n/...? shows all options] (y): n


Note, no "x11" components are being added (and I entered "n" as NetworkManager
was eliminated for a reason ;-) ).
Comment 7 Don Buchholz 2017-11-17 19:08:58 UTC
Also, when using PXE boot, the PXE server must be configured with the
"nomodeset" option or no video will appear:

  # grep sle15 pxelinux.cfg/default
  label sle15_nomodeset
          kernel distros/sle15_linux
          append initrd=distros/sle15_initrd text nomodeset
  label sle15
          kernel distros/sle15_linux
          append initrd=distros/sle15_initrd text

However, if one creates install media from "SLE-15-Installer-DVD-x86_64-Beta{1,2}-DVD1.iso",
it just works.  Video appears and there is no need to modify the kernel's
boot params.

This is true for both SLE-15 Beta1 and Beta2.

Also, SLES-12-SP3 PXE images work (display video) without adding the 
"nomodeset" parameter.
Comment 8 Josef Reidinger 2018-01-04 16:58:01 UTC
(In reply to Don Buchholz from comment #7)
> Also, when using PXE boot, the PXE server must be configured with the
> "nomodeset" option or no video will appear:
> 
>   # grep sle15 pxelinux.cfg/default
>   label sle15_nomodeset
>           kernel distros/sle15_linux
>           append initrd=distros/sle15_initrd text nomodeset
>   label sle15
>           kernel distros/sle15_linux
>           append initrd=distros/sle15_initrd text
> 
> However, if one creates install media from
> "SLE-15-Installer-DVD-x86_64-Beta{1,2}-DVD1.iso",
> it just works.  Video appears and there is no need to modify the kernel's
> boot params.
> 
> This is true for both SLE-15 Beta1 and Beta2.
> 
> Also, SLES-12-SP3 PXE images work (display video) without adding the 
> "nomodeset" parameter.

usually enforced nomodeset depends on your graphical driver ( usually nvidia propritary driver need it, installed does not use this driver ).
Comment 9 Don Buchholz 2018-01-04 17:44:51 UTC
(In reply to Josef Reidinger from comment #8)
> 
> usually enforced nomodeset depends on your graphical driver ( usually nvidia
> propritary driver need it, installed does not use this driver ).
>

Just to clarify, this issue did not involve adding/changing any drivers.
I simply install a new, clean, fresh, minimal SLE-15 instance from the
ISO "Installer" image on a flash drive and let the system reboot itself
when finished.  I see video as the system starts to initialize SLES,
and then it all goes black.


The repro process:

1) Perform a clean SLE-15(Beta...) install from ISO media.
   (The installer console will work from ISO media.  It will not work
   from a PXE boot unless 'nomodeset' is added to kernel parms.  Of 
   course, if you PXE boot with 'nomodeset' then the installer will
   add this param to the grub.cfg entry and there won't be any issues
   after the post-install reboot.)

2) During installation, select either text-mode or GUI console for
   default startup mode.  (My own preference is text-mode.)

3) Reboot the system.  You will get about 16sec of text-based console
   messages (on my Dell R-730) and then the screen goes blank ...
Comment 10 Josef Reidinger 2018-01-08 09:18:18 UTC
(In reply to Don Buchholz from comment #9)
> (In reply to Josef Reidinger from comment #8)
> > 
> > usually enforced nomodeset depends on your graphical driver ( usually nvidia
> > propritary driver need it, installed does not use this driver ).
> >
> 
> Just to clarify, this issue did not involve adding/changing any drivers.
> I simply install a new, clean, fresh, minimal SLE-15 instance from the
> ISO "Installer" image on a flash drive and let the system reboot itself
> when finished.  I see video as the system starts to initialize SLES,
> and then it all goes black.
> 
> 
> The repro process:
> 
> 1) Perform a clean SLE-15(Beta...) install from ISO media.
>    (The installer console will work from ISO media.  It will not work
>    from a PXE boot unless 'nomodeset' is added to kernel parms.  Of 
>    course, if you PXE boot with 'nomodeset' then the installer will
>    add this param to the grub.cfg entry and there won't be any issues
>    after the post-install reboot.)
> 
> 2) During installation, select either text-mode or GUI console for
>    default startup mode.  (My own preference is text-mode.)
> 
> 3) Reboot the system.  You will get about 16sec of text-based console
>    messages (on my Dell R-730) and then the screen goes blank ...

Ah, so it is PXE to installation. That was not clear for me.