Bug 1160869 - [Build 20200112] openQA test fails in firefox_audio
[Build 20200112] openQA test fails in firefox_audio
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Classification: openSUSE
Product: openSUSE Tumbleweed
Classification: openSUSE
Component: Xfce
Current
Other Other
: P5 - None : Normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: E-mail List
E-mail List
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/114...
:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2020-01-14 09:47 UTC by Dominique Leuenberger
Modified: 2021-12-07 02:33 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Found By: ---
Services Priority:
Business Priority:
Blocker: ---
Marketing QA Status: ---
IT Deployment: ---


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Dominique Leuenberger 2020-01-14 09:47:07 UTC
## Observation

openQA test in scenario opensuse-Tumbleweed-XFCE-Live-x86_64-xfce-live@64bit fails in
[firefox_audio](https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1143158/modules/firefox_audio/steps/5)

The test failure looks a bit inexplicable. But in short:

* We run Firefox to test html5 site
* we close firefox
* we relaunch firefox with a file:// url to a oga file (audio test)
=> Firefox asks to be default browser; it did not have the same worry during the first launch of firefox. And this only happens on XFCE, other DEs seem to be all right.

Since this is a dialog coming by FF which is not really logical I file it as a product bug. Please verify/investigate

## Test suite description
Maintainer: fvogt
Not tested yet, let's see what it does.


## Reproducible

Fails since (at least) Build [20200112](https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1142746)


## Expected result

Last good: [20200111](https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/1142182) (or more recent)


## Further details

Always latest result in this scenario: [latest](https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/latest?arch=x86_64&distri=opensuse&flavor=XFCE-Live&machine=64bit&test=xfce-live&version=Tumbleweed)
Comment 1 Dominique Leuenberger 2020-01-14 10:43:07 UTC
RE-asisgning to XFCE maintainers

https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/763648 is the reason for that change. imho, changing the html handler to some obscure browser sounds weird :)
Comment 2 Maurizio Galli 2020-01-17 03:40:41 UTC
(In reply to Dominique Leuenberger from comment #1)
> RE-asisgning to XFCE maintainers
> 
> https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/763648 is the reason for that
> change. imho, changing the html handler to some obscure browser sounds weird
> :)

exo-webb(In reply to Dominique Leuenberger from comment #1)
> RE-asisgning to XFCE maintainers
> 
> https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/763648 is the reason for that
> change. imho, changing the html handler to some obscure browser sounds weird
> :)

exo-web-browser.desktop is not an obscure browser but just a wrapper for the default browser, and since we set it to Firefox I don't understand how it has an impact... 
https://github.com/Mau-G/xfce4-branding-openSUSE/blob/4.14/base/etc/xdg/xfce4/helpers.rc
Comment 3 Maurizio Galli 2020-01-17 12:21:42 UTC
Would it be acceptable to disable the "default browser checking" for Xfce?

Because the default browser is set via Preferred Applications, I believe the dialog should be off by default.

A way to do it is to install a config js file via the xfce branding package

Example:
/usr/lib64/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/xfce-firefox.js

// Disable default browser checking.
pref("browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser", false);
Comment 4 Dominique Leuenberger 2020-01-17 12:27:59 UTC
(In reply to Maurizio Galli from comment #3)
> Would it be acceptable to disable the "default browser checking" for Xfce?
> 
> Because the default browser is set via Preferred Applications, I believe the
> dialog should be off by default.
> 
> A way to do it is to install a config js file via the xfce branding package
> 
> Example:
> /usr/lib64/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/xfce-firefox.js
> 
> // Disable default browser checking.
> pref("browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser", false);

Considering that this impacts users outside of XFCE too, just because xfce is being installed: no

Let's ask Wolfgang if he has some nicer ideas
Comment 5 Wolfgang Rosenauer 2020-01-17 13:12:26 UTC
We could try to disable the check in Firefox completely but honestly I disagree.
In the past we defined Firefox to be the default browser across desktop environments. I haven't seen any discussion or decision this was changed. And even if it was and someone starts Firefox the question to the user if he wants to set the default browser is totally valid from my point of view.
Comment 6 Marcel Kuehlhorn 2020-01-17 13:52:16 UTC
(In reply to Wolfgang Rosenauer from comment #5)
> In the past we defined Firefox to be the default browser across desktop
> environments. 
> I haven't seen any discussion or decision this was changed.
We don't want to switch to a different default browser, Firefox is the default but shows this message anyway
Comment 7 Maurizio Galli 2020-01-17 13:55:03 UTC
ok after a bit of digging it seems that the exo "Preferred Applications" is not generating or modifying entries in mimeapps.list. I am not certain whether it's a bug or that's how it works. I'm checking with upstream, meanwhile if there is urgency I will just revert the latest changes for Firefox till we figure this out?
Comment 8 Wolfgang Rosenauer 2020-01-17 13:58:13 UTC
Sorry, I missed that point.
Did anything else change in Xfce with regards to how to set and get the default browser compared to the past?
Because that means that Firefox does not read the correct thing from Xfce and doesn't find itself as the default browser hence asking.
And next related question: What changes if you let Firefox set itself as default. Does it change anything or is the interface Firefox is using broken anyway currently?
Comment 9 Maurizio Galli 2020-01-17 14:03:57 UTC
(In reply to Wolfgang Rosenauer from comment #8)
> Sorry, I missed that point.
> Did anything else change in Xfce with regards to how to set and get the
> default browser compared to the past?
> Because that means that Firefox does not read the correct thing from Xfce
> and doesn't find itself as the default browser hence asking.

Correct, as per my previous post by using exo-web-browser instead of Firefox, entries in mimeapps.list are not properly generated and Firefox does not see it's default

> And next related question: What changes if you let Firefox set itself as
> default. Does it change anything or is the interface Firefox is using broken
> anyway currently?

It adds entries in mimeapps.list and remains default even if we change the setting in "Preferred Application". This is problematic if more than one browsers are installed and do not have a native way to set themselves as default (e.g midori browser). 

At least this how I understood it
Comment 10 Maurizio Galli 2020-01-20 09:00:52 UTC
We have reinstated firefox as handler for now so that we don't block openQA

https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/765566
Comment 11 OBSbugzilla Bot 2021-06-21 08:50:19 UTC
This is an autogenerated message for OBS integration:
This bug (1160869) was mentioned in
https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/901100 Factory / xfce4-branding-openSUSE
Comment 12 Maurizio Galli 2021-12-07 02:33:22 UTC
This issue is from my point of view resolved.